Tea Type: Black Tea
Tea Region: Sanxia, Taiwan
- Appearance: Clear, mahogany, red brown coloured infusion.
- Aroma: Woody, maple syrup, floral, sugarcane aromas with a hint of leathery, earthy notes.
- Flavour: Honey, woody, maple sap, dried persimmon, floral (violet), earthy notes with a hint of liquorice and red burdock root.
- Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-bodied liquor without astringency. Delicate acidity in the finish leads to a refreshing mouthfeel.
- Measure 3g of tea per 200ml water. Boil water to 95℃. Steep for 3-5 minutes.
Reference: Op. 410
Tips for Tea Connoisseurs
Sanxia Honey Black is made from tea leaves of Jin Xuan cultivar tea plants grown in Sanxia district, Taiwan, known for its ideal terroir for tea cultivation. It was one of the areas that many Chinese tea masters immigrated after Taiwan was returned from the Japanese colonial government in 1945 and it is now well known for its fine green tea and black tea production.
Sanxia Honey Black is a special black tea which combines the traditional black tea making method with the production method of Oriental Beauty Oolong Tea, which allows tea leaves to be bitten by small leafhoppers known as "green fly" during the hot and humid summer. As the insect bite upsets and initiates oxidation process of the tea leaves, the chemical composition of the leaves change accordingly, which then leads to the development of a very distinctive fruity-floral-honey flavour, which is typically found in Oriental Beauty oolong tea.
The result is a smooth, warming black tea that harmoniously blends honey, woody, floral, fruity and earthy flavours with liquorice and red burdock root notes in the finish. The tea being very smooth and low in tannin, it is a comforting black tea that can be savoured anytime of the day.
Combining the unique terroir with the innovative art of the tea making, Sanxia Honey Black is a charming black tea that reflects the creative and vibrant modern tea culture in Taiwan.
Black tea is known to be just as beneficial as green tea for our health and well-being. A recent study indicates several health benefits of black tea by demonstrating that flavonoids found in black tea boost the immune system to prevent flu and other viral infection and encourage the growth of healthy microorganism in the liver to boost energy metabolism and weight loss.