Tea Type: Oolong Tea
Tea Region: Wuyi Mountain, Fujian Province, China
- Measure 3g of tea per 200ml water. Boil water to 95℃. Steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Appearance: Clear, amber gold coloured liquor.
- Aroma: Layers of sweetness arising from dried fruits (apricot, prune), floral, vanilla-toasted notes.
- Flavour: Stone fruits (peach, dried apricot), lightly floral and vegetal notes on a toasty, woody background. A presence of minerality.
- Mouthfeel: Well-rounded, velvety liquor with a delicate astringency.
Reference: Op. 106
Tips for Tea Connoisseurs
Big Red Robe (aka. Da Hong Pao), originating in the north of Wuyi mountain, Fujian Province, is a legendary Chinese oolong tea. According to the myth, this tea cured the illness of the mother of an emperor during the Ming Dynasty and the emperor in gratitude sent red robes to protect the tea bushes. There are still four ancient tea trees from the Ming Dynasty standing on a cliff of Wuyi mountains and the tiny amount of the tea that they yield has led to a legendary price of Da Hong Pao at auction.
Due to its very special terroir, Big Red Robe is also known as a "Rock Tea", because the rocky soil of Wuyi mountain nourishes the tea bushes hence one can note distinctive minerality in the liquor of Big Red Robe.
Our Big Red Robe is made from tender leaves of the clones taken from the ancient Da Hong Pao tea bushes. Carefully cultivated and meticulously crafted following the traditional Da Hong Pao processing method, our Big Red Robe Wuyi Oolong tea offers a wonderfully complex, aromatic infusion that mingles fruity, lightly floral, vegetal and mineral notes on a toasty, woody background.
As with all the teas, oolong tea also offers us health benefits to increase our sense of well-being. Several studies indicate that oolong tea is a rich source of antioxidant polyphenols and it may well be just as beneficial as green tea to promote weight loss and cardiovascular health by reducing high blood pressure and cholesterol.
If you like this product you may also like Golden Water Turtle, Phoenix Honey Orchid, Nine Dragon Robe and Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong.