Tea Type: Oolong Tea
Tea Region: Alishan, Chiayi County, Taiwan
- Appearance: Translucent, bright, golden-amber coloured liquor.
- Aroma: Baked taro (cocoyam), leathery, cherry, plum, vanilla, toasty notes with a hint of cinnamon.
- Flavour: Baked taro, leathery, cinnamon, vanilla, toasty flavours.
- Mouthfeel: Very smooth, well-rounded liquor with a lingering sweet cocoyam note in the finish. Lack of astringency.
- Measure 3g of tea per 200ml water. Boil water to 95℃. Steep for 3-4 minutes.
Reference: Op. 108
Tips for Tea Connoisseurs
GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) is an amino acid known for its calming effect on the nervous system and hence relaxing the body. To be able to be labelled as GABA tea, processed tea leaves must contain at least 150mg of GABA per 100g dry weight. The GABA technology, which allows fresh tea leaves to be exposed to nitrogen during the oxidation process, was first developed by Japanese researchers in 1987 in order to increase the naturally occurring GABA content in the tea.
Our GABA Oolong, made from tea leaves grown on the high-elevation of Ali Mountain, exceeds the standard GABA content by far, containing approximately 400 mg per 100g of tea. When brewed, our GABA Oolong tea offers a translucent, bright amber golden coloured infusion with distinctive baked taro (cocoyam) and dark stone fruit (plum, cherry) flavours with a hint of cinnamon. This unique taro flavour in the liquor which is associated with GABA is proven to offer a sense of well-being and relaxation. The liquor is also very smooth and supple without a presence of astringency, which makes it as a perfect daily oolong tea.
Fine black tea enthusiasts may well appreciate this smooth, soothing and balanced GABA oolong tea from Alishan as well.
As with all the teas, oolong tea also offers us health benefits to increase our sense of well-being. Several studies indicate that oolong tea is a rich source of antioxidant polyphenols and it may well be just as beneficial as green tea to promote weight loss and cardiovascular health by reducing high blood pressure and cholesterol.