Tea Type: Green Tea
Tea Region: Uji, Kyoto, Japan
- Appearance: Translucent, pale green coloured infusion.
- Aroma: Intense nutty, toasty, buttery aromas with vegetal and marine notes in the background.
- Flavour: Typical Sencha flavours - marine, vegetal (petit pois, zucchini), umami notes - harmoniously combined with nutty, toasty flavours (baked bread).
- Mouthfeel: Well-balanced, harmonious liquor with a silky mouthfeel. Lengthy roasted, toasty finish.
- Measure 3g of tea per 200ml water. Boil water to 80℃. Steep for 1 1/2- 2 minutes.
Reference: Op. 203
Tips for Tea Connoisseurs
Genmaicha, literally meaning 'brown rice tea' in Japanese, is a unique mixture of bancha green tea (a summer flush tea after the the first and second harvest of Sencha) and roasted brown rice kernels from Japan. As this unique blend brings out buttery and nutty flavours reminiscent of popcorns, this tea has also been nicknamed as Popcorn Tea.
Traditionally in the past, Genmaicha green tea has been consumed by the poor, who couldn't afford pure green tea, as mixing green tea leaves with cereals could make it last longer. Nowadays it is a popular choice of green tea widely enjoyed in Japan.
Our Genmaicha Green Tea comes from a certified biological tea garden in Uji, Kyoto in Japan, which is well-known for its ideal terroir for tea cultivation and reputed to produce the best quality green teas throughout the whole Japanese archipelago. Blending biologically grown Bancha leaves with naturally grown roasted brown rice kernels, our Genmaicha offers a delicious liquor that beautifully mingles buttery, marine (seaweed) and vegetal (petit pois, zucchini) flavours of Japanese green tea with nutty flavour of roasted rice.
As with all green tea, Genmaicha is rich in antioxidants and known for its potential health benefits such as promoting heart health, cancer prevention, boosting the immune system and lowering down blood pressure.
An easy-drinking sweet, nutty green tea that can be a great companion for a savoury meal.
Naturally grown without pesticide and chemical fertiliser. Certified JAS (Japanese Agricultural Standard) Organic which is equivalent to the EU organic standard.
If you like this product you may also like Matcha-Genmaicha Duo Blend, Hojicha, Matcha Delight and Sencha Asamushi.